Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Q&A With Terry Tha Rapman


Apart from Junior & Pretty, a couple of other MCs have contributed immensely in the Nigerian hiphop industry to make it what it is today. It's obvious that the list is endless, so I won't bother mentioning names. But one of such people today, is Terry Tha Rapman, and he'll be sharing with us briefly what the journey for him has been like so far.

Q&A With Terry Tha Rapman

Who is Terry Tha Rapman?
Terry Tha Rapman is Tha Rap.Manifestation to Amateur Niggaz. A gifted Nigerian with superior skills. So am not just a rapper, am an emcee.

Then who is Joe Spazm if I may ask?
Joe Spazm is my alter ego. He is the darker one that doesn't give an eff.

When did you fall in love with Hip Hop, and what was the experience like?
I fell in love with HipHop when I was 16 in secondary school in Kaduna state. I never had friends or relatives abroad so I would dub rap songs from Radio station programmes. I had tapes with Slick Rick, Rakim, and Ice Cube etc. It was a whole new experience because I used to listen to R &B , Afro beat and Pop. But Rap and Hip hop music was too real, so I related easily.


What can you say about the current state of The Nigerian music industry?
It's growing as compared to 6 years ago, especially for HipHop. Marketers are pushing Rap albums with Fuji and all.

What was your favorite track off your first album "Tha Rapman Beginz"?
That would be The Revelation......it's the first song I recorded for the album. I just left Payback Tyme Records and I was broke, mad and all. It was a personal song.


Do we see SWAT ROOT coming back together anytime soon?
We want to get ourselves on ground slid first. We're still good friends.....we talk about it all the time....definately with RuleClean, Mr Baron and the rest.

What should we expect from you this year?
The "Boyz Are Not Smiling" album, plus I'll be touring Europe and America.

What's your definition of a "Real Song"?
A song that comes from your soul. If it's personal, someone out there will feel it.


Who's your favorite rapper/emcee?
Eminem

Any last word(s) to all your numerous fans out there?
Be real, be original, remember the old school in order to be the future...and have God on your side.

1 comment:

  1. Apart from Junior & Pretty, a couple of other MCs have contributed immensely in the Nigerian hiphop industry to make it what it is today. It's obvious that the list is endless, so I won't bother mentioning names. But one of such people today, is Terry Tha Rapman,

    ReplyDelete